Thursday, February 11, 2010

Spiritual Milk, Part I


I grew up drinking milk. Chocolate, strawberry, Carnation Instant Breakfast, but mostly just regular cow's milk. I used it in cereals and once or twice mixed with chocolate cake. These days, I favor Trader Joe's "original flavor" rice milk. Whether chocolate, strawberry, plain, almond, goat's, or rice, milk has a place in most cultures, for better or for worse, of being an essential nourishing drink that helps us grow.

My wife Heidi and three children left town to go stay overnight with "Papa" and "Nana". Everything went quiet. I could get some work done, go for a run, put any toys away, catch a few minutes of the game on tv while having lunch. All of a sudden, I also had lots of freedom to do my daily Bible reading and meditations. That was wonderful - but also begged the question, Isn't there a way to hang out with Jesus without having to send my family off out of town (or myself off on a retreat!)?!


Like newborn babies, crave pure spiritual milk, so that by it you may grow up in your salvation, - 1 Peter 2:2


(Over the next few weeks, check in with Spiritual Milk, a series sharing and exploring habits for growing more mature - for knowing, experiencing, and participating with God; help get the word out and share this blog with friends).